NISHAT HUSEIN – RAJASTHAN
Nishat Hussain is the state leader of BMMA in Rajasthan. She is a qualified teacher and has worked for the development of Muslim women through National Muslim Women Welfare Society of which she is a founder member as well as the President. She is also the vice-president of PUCL, Rajasthan. Since the communal riots of 1989 she has been striving for peace between Hindu and Muslim communities and has been the first woman in her state to have established an organization to achieve this objective. She takes forward the vision of BMMA by working on the issues of health, education, employment, law reform and security. She also works on the issue of domestic violence and against female foeticide.
· President: Govt. Girls Secondary School, Karauli, Rajasthan, 1968.
· President: National Muslim women’s Welfare Society, 1990- present.
Member: All India Crime Prevention Society, Jaipur.
Member: Advisory Board “Arth Dershan” Bi Monthly Magazine on Economy and Commerce, Jaipur
Member: Citizens Association for Rights (CARR), Jaipur
Joint Secretary: Rajasthan Throw Ball Association, Jaipur
Vice President: People’s Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL), Rajasthan, Jaipur
Executive Member: Zila Saksharta Samiti, under chairmanship of Collector, Jaipur Distt.
Active Member: “Mahila Suraksha & Salah Kendra” – Functioning since 01.01.2002 a joint venture of Govt. of Rajasthan and Women activists.
Member: Core Committee. Coilation for Nuclear Disarmament & Peace. (International organization Presided by Admiral Ramdas).
Executive Member: Community Liason Group (C.L.G.) formed in various Thanas in Jaipur city by district administration to help in prevention of Crime.
Convener, Rajasthan, Bhartiya Muslim Mahila Andolan (India)
Executive Member: Steering committee constituted for monitoring the Mahila Salah Evam Suraksha Kendra established in 28 Mahila Thana by Government of Rajasthan.
3rd Party Member in the Sexual harassment Committees in Government offices by the direction of Supreme Court in Vishakha decision.
1. Finance department, Govt. of Rajasthan
2. Lottery department, Govt. of Rajasthan
3. Office of the Police commissioner, Jaipur
4. Panchayat Raj department. Govt. of Rajasthan
· Campaigned against the misuse of the TADA Act (Terrorist and Disruptive Activities) (Prevention) Act. Provided relief to families of those arbitrarily detained under this Act.
· Relief work after the riots of Oct., 1990 in Jaipur and Dec., 1992 in Jaipur, Tonk and Malpura. Worked with the administration and local residents to restore peace and trust between communities in times of violence. Commendation letter by the Governor of Rajasthan Shri Chenna Reddy in the year 1992-1993.
· Work with RUWA (Rajasthan University Women’s Association), a voluntary social organization for the welfare of the women on burning issues of women.
95% marriage Dispute counseling cases are dealt successfully during 1996-97 to 2001-2002
Regional Coordinator(2006): Survey conducted in various districts of Rajasthan for Indian Social Institute, New Delhi and Action Aid India to present before Sachar Committee (High Power Committee constituted by Prime Minister of India to know the socio-economic status of Muslim in India) to include in the final recommendation.
Survey conducted to know the status of Muslims Girls who are engaged as Labourer in Gemstone Home Industry in Jaipur in 2005-06.
· National Unity Award: 1993 from the All India National Unity Conference.
· Commendation from the Rashtriya Ekta Sangh, July 1993.
· Shanti Doot Award by Satya Dev Samiti, Jaipur in 1994.
· National Unity & Integrity Award from All India Ambedkar Youth Federation, Distt., Jaipur.
· Youth Social Worker Society, Jaipur.
· Peace Committee, Ramganj, Jaipur.
· Member: Saksharata Samiti, Core Group framed by Collector, Jaipur for Jaipur Distt.
· Honoured by Akhil Rajasthan Daroga Samaj Samiti, Jaipur at Phagi in the year 1997.
· Honoured by Bazme-QAMAR, Jaipur on 13.12.1997.
· Honoured by District administration for enhancement of communal harmony in the year 1997.
· Certificate awarded by 5th International Congress of Tropical Pediatrics Pre Congress workshop on Population Control & Child Health, Jaipur (India) on 09.02.1999.
· Prem Mandir Sansthan, Excellency Award for women empowerment, May 5, 2012
· Samaj Ratna Award by Rajasthan Jan Manch for communal Harmony on Aug 19, 2012